BLSA HARTFORD GUIDE by Fallon DePina
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY EXTREMELY BIASED OPINION OF THE BEST PLACES IN TOWN. THIS LIST IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE. FURTHER, NONE OF THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THESE REVIEWS ARE ENDORSED BY UCONN OR UCONN SCHOOL OF LAW.
Hair Salons & Barber Shops
- Grecia's Beauty Salon
- Review: $15 roller sets, $20 roller sets w/ Blow dry. $5 trims. No appt. necessary. Good, quick service.
- 24 Hour Super Stop & Shop
- Review: Great when you need a candy binge after an all night study session and everywhere else is closed. Watch out, the one in West Hartford is small and has a pitiful selection.
- Trader Joe's
- Review: Simply the best, most affordable organic food around. The service is friendly, the meat is free range, and all the products are all free trade. Whoopie!
- Whole Foods
- Review: Expensive organic products, most of which you can get at Trader's for much cheaper. The produce department is impeccable.
- Wild Oats
- Review: Expensive organic. This location shut down a local organic market on Farmington and placed a restrictive covenant on the location so that no other grocery stores can open up there. This has placed an undue and unjust burden on the local community. 10% off if you show your student I.D. Great gelato bar.
- Shopping Malls
- Health Club Facilities
- Review: Cozy, mezzanine-style cafe serving a creative array of salads, sandwiches, desserts and vegetarian dishes in an ambient and soulful atmosphere. Black owned business. Great for a quick bite or an evening of cocktails. The service is on the slow side. The drinks are small and a tad over priced for the size. No Cover.
- Monday-Spoken Word-It is a lot of fun
- Sunday - International Breakfast
- Authentic First Fridays
- Review: First Friday of the month. Dressy, professional crowd 25-38 years old. $10 cover in advance, $20 at the door.
- New Haven First Fridays
- Review: Hosted by Fridays Magazine. 21+ crowd.
- Albert's Lake Side
- Review: Saturday night hip hop. $10 cover.
- Room 960
- Review: Sexy, modern lounge. Good drinks. Cosmopolitan atmosphere. Wednesday hip hop. Free for ladies before 11pm, $10 after.
- Review: The club is in Springfield. They often have concerts.
- Review: Fridays. Reggae and hip hop. $10 cover. The club is VERY smokey.
- Where to study when the Library is closed
$$$ Use Mom's Visa
- Date Night
- No Fish Today $$-$$$
- Review: Don't be fooled by the name. Flavorful, fresh seafood is all this menu serves up.
- Black Eyed Sally's $-$$
- Review: Blues, Beer, and BBQ. Cheap eats, decent service, and a tasty yet simple menu.
- Arch Street Tavern $
- Review: Great place to watch the game or grab a beer after a long week of studying.
- Braza $-$$
- Review: Try the yucca fries, they are amazing. The entire bar menu is half off on Sundays so you can eat an entire meal and sip a Mojito for under $8! The regular dinner menu is underwhelming, you're better off sticking to the deals at the bar.
- Wood-n-Tap $
- Review: Best burgers in town.
- Friendly's $
- Review: Traditional eats and delicious sundaes. It's comfort food at its simplest and most satisfying.
- West Indian
- Sports Bars
- Pizza Parlors $
- Review: Sgt. Pepperoni is the best cheap pick and as an added bonus the slices are the size of your head.
- Ice Cream Parlors
- Review: Maggie Moo's in West Hartford makes the best cones (it is sort of like Cold Stone) and Friendly's makes the best sundaes.
- West Hartford Restaurant Guide $-$$$
- Just a quick drive down Farmington Ave. puts you smack dab in the middle of West Hartford Centre where a plethora of dining options await you.
- UCONN Law's Official Bars
- La Paloma Sabanera Coffeehouse $
- Review: Hands down the friendliest service in town. It is the only Latino bookstore/coffee shop in Connecticut. It has great music, the best Cuban sandwiches in town, and many evening jazz performances…so check their website frequently. Plus, they only serve free trade coffee and tea.
- Tisane $
- Review: Fabulous tea and coffee, decent menu, and an after hours bar.