If you are starting a job as an associate this summer you will want to read Gladney and Millien, From Finals to the Firm: The Top Ten Things New Law Firm Associates Should Know. This is an excellent primer on how to get started with your legal career. Topics covered include:
- How to handle research assignments using the JUST ASK method
- How to find a mentor and which mentors are worth having
- How to be a success in your law firm using the TIE principle (talent, image and exposure)
- Why your relationships with the staff are so important to your advancement or, why being arrogant is a good way to shoot yourself in the foot
- How to cover your assets by leaving a paper trail and what kind of paper trail you will want to leave
This short (only 62 pages) but invaluable book is an easy read but well worth your time.