Information for International Exchange Students
Welcome to the University of Connecticut School of Law! We are pleased that you have been accepted as an Exchange Student at the University of Connecticut School of Law.
This information is intended to assist you in making your plans to come to Connecticut. Although we have tried to anticipate many of your questions, we welcome hearing from you about any individual concerns. Our hope is that this marks the beginning of a productive and enjoyable year for you here.
As soon as possible, please complete and return the following forms:
- the Notice of Intention
- the Financial Declaration Form with supporting documentation so that we may begin processing your J-1 visa application
- the Request Form for Issuance of DS-2019
- the Bio/Demographic Data Sheet
- the Immunization Form. You and your doctor will need to complete the Immunization Form.
- Enrollment Request Form. If you have not already sent in a list of courses that you would like to take at UConn, please view the course offerings. Make sure you have selected the correct semester and year as not all courses are offered every semester. Select three or four first choices and two second choices and enter them on the Enrollment Request Form.
- a copy of the photo page of your passport.
Please fax (1.860.570.5366), or scan and email ail the completed forms and finally mail them to Burak Can at: UConn Law School, 65 Elizabeth Street, Hartford, CT 06105 USA.
Most courses that are open to J.D. candidates are open to exchange students as well. Students may select courses from among the many U.S. and International Law courses offered as part of the Law School's extensive curriculum. Exchange students may take introductory courses, or, if they prefer, they may take a more advanced level of study. Only a few courses have prerequisites. In special circumstances, exchange students may participate in the various legal clinics at the Law School.
All exchange students are required to attend Orientation. Please see the draft (attached below) for details. Notify us of the date you expect to arrive in the U.S. and your flight information as soon as possible.
You will be entering the U.S. on a J-1 visa. Rae Barter, the university's visa officer, is in charge of handling J visas on-campus. If you have any questions about your visa, please contact her.
All other exchange questions should be directed to Burak Can, Deputy Director of International Programs.
As there is no on-campus housing at the Law School, we will find furnished accommodations for you within walking distance of the Law School. You will be notified later in the summer what is available. The monthly rental rates in our area are $600-$700 per month. Rents are due upon arrival as well as a month's security deposit which will be returned when you vacate if the apartment is left clean and in good condition.
Please also see the International Student Organizations (International Law Society, LSA, SALSA, ALSA, BALSA).
We look forward to your arrival in Hartford!
If you have any difficulty with the forms or other questions, please contact:
Burak Can Phone: +1 860.570.5284 Fax: +1 860.570.5366
|Enrollment Request Form||28.61 KB|
|Expected arrival/Flight information||7.56 KB|
|Notice of Intention||10.92 KB|
|Request Form for DS2019.||109.89 KB|
|2012 Orientation Fall.doc||37.5 KB|