Problem Reporting and Tracking
When problems are reported to the Information Systems Helpdesk (by phone or email), they are logged into our database. If phoned in, a problem that cannot be solved immediately is entered into a tracking system to ensure that it is dealt with, and to ensure that the person who reported it is informed of the outcome when the problem is closed. The anticipated turn-around time for all call tickets not marked "critical" (for definition, see Section II) is 1-3 days.
Problems outstanding for more than 3 days are reported to the Associate Director for Information Systems who ensures that all reasonable progress is being made. Priorities between outstanding problems may be adjusted at this stage.
- Help Desk
- Aim - To provide a single, helpful, point of contact within the IS department.
- Applies to - All students, faculty, and staff of the Law School.
- Service Level
- The Help Desk is open 8:30 am to 4:30 pm weekdays when the University is open, except for closures for staff training.
- Incoming emails and voicemails are usually entered in the database every 15 minutes.
- Urgent or critical work takes priority over general assistance of users.
- Contact by telephone (x5158).
- Contact by email.
- Contact "in person" in Lib 234, located in the Library next to the computer labs.
- Logging of call ticket in Help Desk tracking database.
- Tracking of all problems with users able to obtain problem's status.
- Serious problems are escalated by Help Desk.
- Measurement of Compliance
- Records of Help Desk usage are kept and an annual report of usage is provided to the Library Director and the Faculty Computer Committee.