Scholarships and Grants

Students are encouraged to apply for grants and scholarships, and the Office of Student Finance keeps a list of upcoming available scholarships in the Student Portal. There are a number of different kinds of grants and scholarships, including UConn-funded scholarships for both JD and LLM students, a variety of external grants and scholarships as well as financial aid for international students.

Students should note that any awards must be reported to the Student Finance Office. Students may not have financial aid in excess of their cost of attendance or financial need. If total financial aid already equals the cost of attendance, student loans or other aid must be reduced to resolve the overaward.

Law Students First Fund

UConn Law students who have experienced an unanticipated hardship may receive a gift through the Law Students First Fund to help ease the financial burden they are experiencing. By providing resources in times of need, the Law Students First Fund allows the Office of Student Affairs to demonstrate the care and concern that the UConn Law community feels for our students. The Law Students First Fund is supported by private donors, including the AccessLex Institute. Students in need should complete an application and be as detailed as possible. Applications are reviewed and decisions are made within 72 hours (Monday - Friday) of submission. Please contact with further questions or concerns.

UConn Law Scholarships

Inquiries about Merit and Foundation scholarships for JD students should be directed to JD Admissions at or (860) 570-5100.

A limited number of non-renewable scholarships are awarded to LLM students by the LLM Admissions Office.

External Scholarship Databases

Resources for International Students

The best resource for grants to study abroad at the University of Connecticut School of Law is a student's home country. Aside from this, “Financial Aid for International Students” may provide information on the types of and processes involved in obtaining a grant. International students who are on a student visa do not qualify for tuition remission grants or Federal Stafford Loans or GRAD Plus Loans.

Some countries may have financial aid available and may require the student to return home after their education in complete. Contact the cultural section of the embassy or ministry of education for more information, since there are many awards which require students to be nominated by their governments.

The only alternative financing available in the United States is through a private lender/bank. Most lenders require a co-signer who is a US citizen. Approval of these loans is made independently by the lending institution after the University of Connecticut School of Law certifies enrollment and cost of attendance. Contact the Student Finance Office for additional information about the private loan application process.